ABA Therapy in Norcross, Georgia
Elevation Autism Center is located about three miles northwest of Norcross in Peachtree Corners. Many of the children and families we serve live in Norcross and its surrounding region. Norcross offers residents and visitors plenty of activities to keep the entire family busy. Malibu Norcross is a large venue that boasts a Go Kart track, batting cages, a miniature golf course, and plenty more family-friendly activities. Tiny Towne is a children’s amusement center that lets children ages 3 and older experience driving cars on tracks designed to accommodate children of all ages in a fun, safe, and controlled environment. Lillian Webb Park is over 4 acres and has an interactive splash pad, baseball fields, concessions, and restrooms.
Norcross, Georgia ABA Therapy
The experienced professionals at Elevation Autism Center are dedicated to helping children develop essential life skills through implementing age-appropriate, creative and engaging activities with Applied Behavior Analysis, or ABA.
What is ABA Therapy?
ABA Therapy uses a scientific approach to understand certain behaviors and incorporate strategic techniques to improve a child’s social and emotional skills. If your child finds certain social situations difficult, have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder – or they are showing signs of autism – your child’s pediatrician may have already recommended ABA therapy.
Every child is different. How they learn, their personality, their environment, and many other factors can contribute to their behavior in varying situations. ABA therapy helps the professionals at Elevation Autism Center understand why a child chooses to act or react a certain way. Once we understand the ‘why,’ then we’re able to use intervention techniques that will help them develop foundational skills that contribute to a healthy and happy life. Skills they will be able to apply for the rest of their life.
At Elevation, each family is paired with one of our skilled Program Supervisors who will develop a customized learning plan designed for each individual child’s needs. Every detail of the plan will engage their attention, teach them new skills, utilize positive reinforcement, and help them to develop essential communication and learning skills. ABA therapy improves the quality of life not just for your child, but for the entire family.
ABA Therapy Pros and Cons
Like most things in life, ABA therapy has pros and cons. We want parents and caregivers to understand the available research so they can make an informed decision about treatment options for their child. Understanding ABA therapy will help parents to make a decision about whether it’s the right fit for their family.
ABA Therapy Pros:
- ABA therapy is supported by decades of research and continues to be an effective treatment for autism and other developmental disorders.
- ABA increases socially significant skills such as peer play, learning to learn, and communicating needs and wants.
- ABA therapy is personalized, and plans are designed to fit each individual child’s needs.
Some skills that ABA teaches include:
- Interacting with peers and gaining comfort with new environments
- Self-care skills such as potty training, handwashing, and toothbrushing
- Self-control and emotional regulation
- Transfering learned skills across different environments – between home, school, and the community
- Reducing challenging behaviors such as self-harm or temper tantrums
ABA Therapy Cons:
- ABA therapy takes time and dedication from everyone involved. While children will learn skills at the center, it’s important that those skills be put into practice in their every-day life. One of the key determinants of progress is caregiver participation, so we require that parents and other family members be involved in the process to help reinforce the techniques at home.
- Results aren’t always immediate. ABA therapy is not a quick fix. It will take some time and progress will move at different speeds for different children. Learning new skills is not always easy, but it establishes an important foundation for greater independence as they grow.
- A qualified therapist team takes time to develop. We invest extensive time, training and ongoing support to ensure our clinical team is prepared to support your child’s growth. Each behavior technician will be a positive presence in your child’s life, capturing their attention so they can learn and grow.
- Without health insurance, ABA therapy can be expensive. The good news is, due to decades of research and community advocacy, most insurance companies cover ABA therapy as an effective treatment for autism and certain developmental disorders.
ABA Therapy Success Rate
ABA therapy has a high success rate for children on the spectrum, especially with early intervention beginning at the first signs of autism. A number of studies indicate that, when implemented intensively and early in life, ABA therapy can help your child make substantial gains at achieving more independence, improving their communication skills and social skills, and reducing challenging behaviors that interfere with learning.
Therapy for Autism in Norcross, Georgia
If your child has been diagnosed with autism, ABA therapy is a proven method that will help them learn and grow to be more independent. At Elevation, we believe that children learn best through play, so that’s how we teach. When children are engaged, happy and having fun, it allows us to capture their attention and make a tremendous impact. We use autism therapy activities such as tossing a ball, pushing a swing, or blowing bubbles to teach communication skills and social behaviors. It helps them to learn patience and behaviors such as taking turns, making requests, and communicating how they feel. Other autism therapies may include sensory activities, speech and occupational therapies.
Is ABA Therapy Only for Autism?
The short answer is, no. Whenever an individual displays problematic behaviors that need positive change, ABA therapy can help. ABA therapy uses positive reinforcement and is used for a wide range of cognitive disorders, behavioral disorders, and developmental delays. Some examples of skills and challenges that benefit from ABA therapy other than autism include:
- Social skills
- Communication skills
- Gross and fine motor skills
- Self-care skills
- Toilet Training
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Norcross, Georgia Therapy for Autism
ABA Training for Parents
Parents play a large role in helping their child to reach their fullest potential. At Elevation, we believe that it’s a collaborative effort, which is why we work together with parents to make sure they are fully informed of the techniques we use to teach their children. When parents know and understand the ABA approach, they can better reinforce their child’s learned behaviors at home. We work one-on-one with parents to not only teach them our methods, but practice the techniques with them, which will give their child the best results.
You will know our treatment plans and understand our strategies. At Elevation, we offer bi-weekly meetings for parents, in-clinic training sessions, progress reports, and goal reviews. Parent involvement for a child’s success is crucial. We give you the tools you need to implement the same techniques your child is learning. This makes transferring their skills across environments easier. Autism therapy at home is an important aspect of ABA therapy.
Elevation Autism Center is dedicated to working with parents and children to implement proven and effective strategies to increase skills and reduce interfering behaviors. We work closely with both the children in our program and the parents because we believe fostering positive relationships is beneficial for everyone involved. Our team of masters-level Program Supervisors are experienced and passionate about not only helping children thrive, but ensuring they have fun in the process. If you live in Norcross or the surrounding region and have a child with autism, contact us for an initial consultation. You can use our online form or call us at 404-474-0040.
Hotels in Norcross, Georgia
- Hampton Inn Norcross
- Hyatt Place Atlanta/Norcross/Peachtree
- Holiday Inn Express Peachtree Corners-Norcross, an IHG Hotel