ABA Therapy in Peachtree Corners, Georgia
Elevation Autism Center is located in Peachtree Corners, a family-friendly community located in Gwinnett County that is ranked as one of the best places to live in Georgia due to its cost of living, family-friendly amenities, excellent schools, and various employment opportunities. Peachtree Corners has plenty of parks and outdoor activities the entire family can enjoy. The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area has hiking trails, fishing, picnic areas and 48 miles of river. The Southeastern Railway Museum brings visitors from all over Georgia and the U.S. It is Georgia’s official transportation history museum and features the largest collection of “rolling stock” in the state.
Peachtree Corners, Georgia ABA Therapy
Elevation Autism Center has experienced professionals who are dedicated to helping children develop essential life skills through implementing age-appropriate, creative and engaging activities with Applied Behavior Analysis, or ABA.
What is ABA Therapy?
ABA Therapy uses a scientific approach to understand certain behaviors and incorporate techniques to improve a child’s social and emotional skills. If you have a child who has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, is showing signs of autism, or they find social situations difficult, your child’s doctor may have recommended ABA therapy.
A child’s behavior may change based on their environment, how they learn, their individual personality, or many other factors. ABA therapy helps us to understand why a child chooses to act or react a certain way. Once we understand the ‘why,’ then we’re able to use intervention techniques that will help them develop foundational skills that contribute to a healthy and happy life.
At Elevation, each family is paired with one of our skilled Program Supervisors who will develop a customized learning plan designed based on each individual child’s needs. Every detail of the plan will engage their attention, teach them new skills, utilize positive reinforcement, and help develop essential communication and learning skills. ABA therapy improves the quality of life not just for your child, but for the entire family.
ABA Therapy Pros and Cons
Like anything else in life, ABA therapy has pros and cons. We want parents and caregivers to understand the available research to make an informed decision about treatment options for their child, and to have an understanding of ABA therapy before making a decision about whether it’s the right fit for your family.
ABA Therapy Pros:
- ABA therapy has been around a long time. It is supported by decades of research and continues to be an effective treatment for autism and other developmental disorders.
- ABA increases socially significant skills, such as peer play, learning to learn, and communicating needs and wants.
- ABA therapy is personalized, and plans are designed to fit each individual child’s needs.
Some other skills that ABA teaches include:
- Interacting with peers and gaining comfort with new environments
- Self-care skills, such as potty training, handwashing and toothbrushing
- Self-control and emotional regulation
- Transfering learned skills across different environments–between home, school and the community
- Protecting child safety by reducing challenging behaviors such as self-harm or temper tantrums
ABA Therapy Cons:
- ABA therapy takes time and dedication from everyone involved. While children will learn skills at the center, it’s important that those skills be put into practice in their every-day life. One of the key determinants of progress is caregiver participation, so we require that parents and other family members be involved in the process to help reinforce the techniques at home.
- Results aren’t immediate. ABA therapy is not a quick fix. It will take time and progress will move at different speeds. Learning new skills is not always easy, but it establishes an important foundation for greater independence as they grow.
- A qualified therapist team takes time to develop. We invest extensive time, training and ongoing support to ensure our clinical team is prepared to support your child’s growth. Each behavior technician will be a positive presence in your child’s life, capturing their attention so they can learn and grow.
- Without health insurance, ABA therapy can be expensive. The good news is, due to decades of research and community advocacy, most insurance companies cover ABA therapy as an effective treatment for autism and certain developmental disorders.
ABA Therapy Success Rate
ABA therapy has a high success rate for children on the spectrum, especially with early intervention beginning at the first signs of autism. A number of studies indicate that, when implemented intensively and early in life, ABA therapy can help make substantial gains at achieving more independence, improving communication skills and social skills, and reducing challenging behaviors that interfere with learning.
Therapy for Autism in Peachtree Corners, Georgia
If your child has been diagnosed with autism, ABA therapy can help. At Elevation, we believe that children learn best through play, so that’s how we teach. When children are engaged, happy and having fun, it allows us to capture their attention and make a tremendous impact. We use autism therapy activities such as tossing a ball, pushing a swing, or blowing bubbles to teach communication skills and social behaviors. It helps them to learn patience and behaviors such as taking turns, making requests, and communicating how they feel. Other autism therapies may include sensory activities, speech and occupational therapies.
Is ABA Therapy Only for Autism?
The short answer is, no. ABA therapy uses positive reinforcement and is used for a wide range of cognitive disorders, behavioral disorders, and developmental delays. Whenever an individual displays problematic behaviors that need positive change, ABA therapy can help. Some examples of skills and challenges that benefit from ABA therapy other than autism include:
- Social skills
- Communication skills
- Gross and fine motor skills
- Self-care skills
- Toilet Training
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Peachtree Corners, Georgia Therapy for Autism
ABA Training for Parents
As a parent, you hold the key to unlocking your child’s fullest potential. We work together with parents to ensure they are informed of the techniques being used to teach their children and how they can best reinforce the learned behaviors at home. We will work with you to practice the techniques that will give your child the best results. You will know our treatment plans and understand our strategies. At Elevation, we offer bi-weekly meetings for parents, in-clinic training sessions, progress reports, and goal reviews. Parent involvement for a child’s success is crucial. We give you the tools you need to implement the same techniques your child is learning. This makes transferring their skills across environments easier. Autism therapy at home is an important aspect of ABA therapy.
Elevation Autism Center is dedicated to working with parents and children to implement proven and effective strategies to increase skills and reduce interfering behaviors. Our team of masters-level Program Supervisors are experienced and passionate about not only helping children thrive, but ensuring they have fun in the process. If you live in Peachtree Corners or the surrounding region and have a child with autism, contact us for an initial consultation. You can use our online form or call us at 404-474-0040.
Hotels in Peachtree Corners, Georgia
- Hampton Inn Peachtree Corners Norcross
- Atlanta Marriott Peachtree Corners
- Comfort Inn & Suites Peachtree Corners